Before you enable Google Chat Archiving for your organization, make sure you meet the following pre-requisites:
Google Workspace needs to be one of the following:
- Google Workspace Enterprise,
- Google Workspace Enterprise Plus, or
- Google Workspace Education Fundamentals.
Chat history (per user) must be Turned On and you should prevent the Users from changing this setting. This means that the Allow users to change their history settings option should be unchecked.
Once this is set, the following steps should be covered as well:
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Apps > Google Workspace > Google Chat and classic Hangouts, click on Third-party Archiving Settings.
- Admin can select to apply Chat Archiving for a specific department (by selecting Organizational Unit) or to leave top organizational unit selected. If you want to archive all messages, then the top level organizational unit must be selected.
- Check Archiving enabled.
- In Destination address, the Google Workspace Admin needs to enter the email address to which the journal messages will be sent.
- Archival frequency defines how often messages archive should be generated (every 1 – 24 hours).
- For Custom Headers, enter X-Jatheon-Mail-Type:Google-Chat,
- Make sure to click on the Save button to save your settings.